Sunday, January 06, 2013

Good Picks

My NFL picks were pretty good.  3 for 4, and I only missed on the Colts.  But I had to pick my home team, even though I knew it was probably a bit of a long shot.

The next round is much more difficult to pick.  Moreso the NFC side than AFC.  I think Denver will defeat the Ravens without too much difficulty.  Likewise I don't see how the Texans can steal one from the Patriots up in Foxboro, MA.  So I'm pretty sure we'll get the media's favorite matchup, Manning vs Brady, for the right to play in the Super Bowl.

The NFC is nowhere near as easy to pick.  I am leaning toward Green Bay stealing a win in San Fran, but am nowhere near confident in that pick.  And right now I have no earthly idea how Seattle will do in Atlanta.

Although it's disappointing that the Colts blew it today, it was still an entertaining season.  The patented Andrew Luck comeback story got derailed by a number of Colts mistakes.  They were in the red zone when Anthony Costanzo got flagged for a false start, then Donnie Avery dropped a perfect pass that might have given them a first down, then Adam Vinatieri sliced off the field goal attempt.

Add in the Colts cornerbacks couldn't cover Anquan Bolden, and Luck threw a bad interception in the end zone in the Colts' next red zone opportunity.  Any two of these key mistakes don't happen and just maybe the Colts go to Denver next week (and lose to their old QB).  Oh Well.

These Colts might be able to move up to the next level if they can close a few holes.  I think they need a tight end (in my opinion, Coby Fleener's a bust).  They need another wide receiver to replace Avery.  They need a cornerback and a quality outside linebacker to eventually take over for Freeney, who seems to have lost a step.

It would be nice if Bruce Arians decided to stay put instead of grabbing one of those head coaching jobs being dangled in front of him.  My sense of the guy is that he'd rather be the Colts' Offensive Coordinator than take on the pressures of a head coaching job for another team in disarray.

Which teams will play in the Super Bowl this year?  I don't know.  If I were to pick the game I'd most like to see, I suppose it would be Green Bay and Denver.  That at least seems plausible.

No comments: