Friday, May 05, 2006

Picking the right Customs Agent

So this week I returned to the border to try again. And the guy in the customs booth this time barely gave me a second look. All I went through to find my old diplomas and degrees, even ordering replacements for the ones I lost, was for nothing.

Instead of paying the (reportedly) exhorbitant fee to expedite some sort of Canadian work permit, the company was advised by their attorney to write a better letter and have me try again. Yes, the new letter is better and more clearly written, but it still doesn't say much of anything that's different than the original letter that got me turned away last month.

I wonder, every time I go to Canada am I going to have to worry about which customs agent looks over my passport? That's the theory of the people at the client - it's all just who you get. They even theorized that it might be a gender thing, since the agent that turned me away last month was a female, and the one that waved me on through was male.

The only thing I can say for sure is that the female agent that turned me away definitely seemed to have an attitude. Exactly what her problem was, I can't guess. Because I'm male? Because I'm white? Because I remind her of somebody she hates? Because she's angry at all the people from the US coming to Canada to make money?

Beats me. If only I could peer into the booth before driving up and switch to the "right" one every time.

Know what's irritating about going to Canada? Coming home with a bunch of Canadian change in my pocket that isn't worth anything here. And it's not worth trying to exchange, especially because the currency exchange at the Indy airport has a $50 minimum and charges an exhorbitant fee. Anybody want to give me a couple bucks American for about 3 bucks in Canadian coins?

No comments: