Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Funny and Sad

Sometimes things strike me as funny, then sad.

This week it's the Dixie Chicks and their (air)head chick, Natalie Maines. She came out with this sort of retraction of her previous apology for saying hateful things about the president.

So, if I follow the story right, Natalie fancies herself as some sort of crusading anti-Bush spokeswoman who dissed the president a few years back during a concert. Lots of Americans took offense at her offensive remarks and led a boycott of Dixie Chicks music.

She was amazed and appalled that her political ranting would actually cost her money, so at first she went around trying to suggest that there was some sort of Nazi-style censorship going on. That flopped, so eventually she offered a vague apology for having offended anyone.

I'm guessing sales are up these days - I wouldn't know, and could not identify a Dixie Chicks song if you played it for me - so I suppose she feels like it's OK to go back to dissing Bush.

It's funny because she is such a dim bulb but somehow thinks people actually care what she has to say. As if there's anybody on the planet who would listen to her talk, if they could ever decipher the lingo filled with "like, you know" and "whatever"; and suddenly realize, "how stupid I've been to not hate Bush all these years. Why, if Natalie says he sucks, then she must be right!". Think of the millions of people who are now liberal Democrats just because of Natalie. (me laughing)

It's sad because she is such a dim bulb that she can't even see that all this behavior does is make her prove just how dim she is to the entire country. And who knows how many offended people who might have been fans of her little country girl band will never buy another CD because of her hateful and ignorant trash talk.

When will entertainers get it? If they want to get politically active, they should do so by giving some of their fortunes to their favorite candidates behind the scenes. Even showing up to perform for a politician they like would be something they could get away with now and then. But to run around spewing hatred against a president not only changes nobody's mind, but makes about half the country nauseous and hurts the entertainer's business.

Funny and sad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your comments are so useless it is beyond words. Who are we going to remember genius? Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Creedence Clearwater, perhaps the Dixie Chicks? Orrrrrrrr, Jo Dee Messina? WTF, Oh maybe Toby Keith, in his dreams. I know, Big&Rich. No wonder the terrorists hate us. Enough said. You should think before you waste your time writing stupid articles like this.

Dan S. said...

Welcome to my blog, Anonymous. I wish you had taken at least a second to tell me what exactly offended you about my post, and why you listed a bunch of artists and in your flame.
And where in the world did you come up with a connection between my post and terrorists hating us?
Just know, I don't care that your comment was posted anonymously and appears to contain some irrational level of rage and hatred. I'm still happy you stopped by, and hope you can find peace and comfort in your life someday, perhaps listening to some of the artists you seem to like.

Anonymous said...

Well the most offensive thing right off the bat is the title. "Funny and Sad". I did not find anything the chicks did or said "funny" in any way shape or form. The sad part is that we can not stand up and salute our leader/s. Would'nt it be great if we could all do that? I don't have to give you the usual blah blah about how it is the chick's right to say what they want, we all know that already. What is also sad is they are ridiculed for excercising thier free speech. Radio stations will not play them. The first time I heard the title song to thier new album was during the David Letterman show the other night and I must tell you it is one of the best songs (if it were to be categorized as country music) to come out in quite some time; in my opinion. The lyrics and raw emotion I witnessed made my heart jump. To me that is the sign of good music. It means something, it comes from the heart and it is true. You refer to them as if they should be ignored or forgotten and thrown to the side, who cares. Well some people care. My comparison to the other artists is to distinguish a difference (as if I should have to) between what most people consider good musicians and bad musicians, especially in the realm of anti-war critics. I think this is relavent as you seem quick to toss the chicks aside, and I personally would tend to lump them in with that group given the nature of thier controversies. So what I am saying is should'nt we at least give them a listen? If Dylan, and Young and CCR were right about vietnam, I can only presume that the chicks are on the right track with this war and this president. I would compare Toby Keith today with say, Merle Haggard back then. Alot of good Merle did for us, yet some of his music is great. They still play his music now and then. I think people are afraid that the chick's music is so good, they will want to play it more, but they don't want to feel guilty about the truth they might hear in the music, just how you can tell what happened in the late 60's early 70's by listening to that kind of music. Anyway I don't care if the chicks said one thing and then said another, because we all know who the king lier is in this country...