Tuesday, May 16, 2006

If you can't say anything nice ...

My Mom used to say it to us, as many other mothers said to their children:

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all

Lately I've been subjected to incessant negativity from people I care about, talking about other people I care about. Or even talking about others I don't know or care about personally. Such vitriol does nothing but upset me. When I blurted out, "Just stop! I don't want to hear any more.", I got the response, "You are so naive. Wake up! Get your head out of the sand!"

Want to call me naive? Go ahead. I still don't want to hear it. Save it for somebody who loves gossip. I'll make my own judgements about others' characters, thank you.

Unfortunately I can't change the behavior of others. But I can renew and strengthen my promise to myself: I will not speak negatively about anyone, nor will I listen to anyone who desires to poison my relationship with another. Why do you want so badly to spoil my opinion of another, anyway?

I'm sorry for so many people who seem to live their lives in hatred and anger. What a waste of time and emotion. If one really can't stand to be around an individual for whatever reason, just avoid that person; why go beyond and attempt to impose your hatred or bias on others?

1 comment:

N said...

morality does not mean polishing your shoes every sunday and always turning up your nose at the vulgarity of the world. rather, it means being a decent human being - to yourself, and especially to others.

i won't lie and say that i'm doing such a great job of being good to others, but it makes me sad how many people lose sight of the essential truth that it all boils down to loving selflessly and for no reason.