Monday, July 15, 2013

Further Evidence that the Left is Driven by Emotion

Traveling today allowed me plenty of time to play with the Scan button on my car radio.  I heard a bit of talk radio along the way and was struck by a couple of things:

1. All the talk shows were pretty much All Zimmerman All the Time.
2. Callers to the shows who believed Zimmerman should have been convicted were hysterical. (And I don't mean the word as a substitute for "Hilarious")

I didn't really want to dwell on the case.  It's over, the right verdict was reached, and it's time to move on to other topics.  So I really didn't want to spend the entire trip listening to overwrought rhetoric on both sides of the debate.

There were two callers in particular I heard on two different talk radio shows that really caught my attention.  Both were highly emotional about the case and made it sound as if their world had been shattered because Zimmerman was exonerated.

Why was their world shattered?  In both cases because they believed certain characterizations of the case itself that were either not true or never proven by any tangible evidence.  Running through their basic mindsets, they were absolutely certain that Zimmerman was a racist wanna-be cop out to make a name for himself.

They believe that he got out of his car to follow Trayvon Martin after being told not to by the dispatcher.  The parts of the case I did catch included Zimmerman's television interview with Hannity, where he said he was following Martin while talking to the dispatcher on the phone.  Then when the dispatcher told him to stop following the kid, he put the phone away and headed back to his car.  It was on his way back to the car that Martin confronted him and started punching.

They believe that Martin was just an innocent child who was shot by Zimmerman only because he was black and Zimmerman thought he looked suspicious.  The facts of the case don't support that belief in any way.

So what I think I learned is that these folks, whom I presume were black, are so deeply ingrained with the belief that white and law enforcement people are out to oppress and persecute them, they have a default setting that means no facts or circumstances can ever change their belief that any case like this is because of those beliefs.

It is sad.

No comments: