Sunday, July 28, 2013

Be Like Larry

I daydreamed about being able to play basketball like Larry Bird 30 years ago.  Now I'd like to be like him in another way.

He left his position as the GM of the Indiana Pacers a year ago, citing health reasons.  He took a year off, and now he's back.  He indeed seems healthier, happier, and has a new enthusiasm for the task of trying to build the Pacers into a Championship contender.

Larry doesn't need the money, at least as far as I can tell.  He's racked up enough millions as a player and with countless endorsements and probably a number of savvy investments along the way.  He probably doesn't need a job of any kind, but he loves running the Pacers, so most likely he came back for love and not money.

I would like to take some time off myself.  I'm tired and unhealthy and really would like to get a chance to catch my breath and spend a few months concentrating on getting healthier.  Assuming after the sabbatical was over I wanted to return, I'm sure I would return to work energized and enthusiastic.  Maybe not as much as Larry, but well enough.

Then again, I used to daydream about being a great basketball player too.

No comments: