Tuesday, November 06, 2012

More Fun with Football

The Colts and Irish are both great Indiana stories this fall.  Both had great games over the weekend that entertained me far better than some new blockbuster movie or concert.

I left the Notre Dame game for supper late in the 4th quarter and set the DVR for an extra 30 minutes, thinking that should be enough time to return and catch the end.  But when I returned to my La-Z-Boy recliner expecting to play back that last 30 minutes, I turned on the TV to find the game still underway in the second overtime.

Seeing Cierre Wood fumble away his touchdown run, I thought the game was over.  But astoundingly, Pitt missed the Field Goal that should have given them the victory.  My chin was still laying on the floor when the Irish took their victory in the third overtime.  They stole one for sure, but it still counts in the win column.

I'll happily stay for the ride with Notre Dame through their Bowl Game.  If that happens to be against Alabama for the National Championship, something I think is a long shot, I can't imagine the Irish winning that game.  But I'll be happy to be astounded once again.

I feel very good for Andrew Luck and the Colts.  The inspirational story of coach Pagano and the un-rookie-like performance of Luck against the Dolphins combined for a Sunday that was not just entertaining, but inspiring.

My own preseason prediction for the Colts was that if they somehow managed to end the year 8-8, it would be an impressive overachievement.  I still feel that way.  But looking at the Colts' remaining schedule, I think 9-7 or maybe even 10-6 is realistic.  Which would probably mean the playoffs.  Talk about overachieving with a team full of rookies.

But I'm not building my hopes too high.  The Colts still might end up 8-8, which can still be called overachieving.  But wouldn't it be cool if that record was 10-6 instead?

I'll just go along for the ride and have fun along the way.

No comments: