Monday, April 11, 2005

Tales from the Twilight Zone

When I took Chris to Florida for Spring Break a couple of weeks ago, part of our adventure was a day at Epcot (Disney). The entire day felt like deja vu, as I looked over faces in the crowd.

There must have been, hmm, at least a dozen faces in the crowd that looked eerily familiar. Not like I think I may have seen that person before, but like I should really know that person. But no amount of brain-racking could produce the memory of where I might have met each individual.

For example, there was a young teenage girl in line right in front of us at the Norway attraction, Maelstrom. As we made our way through the 20-minute wait, then shared the same boat, I kept racking my brain trying to figure out where I had seen her before. I came up empty. Her features, her walk, even her voice were so familiar I felt like I'd known her since she was a toddler. I briefly considered diplomatically asking her where she was from to try to get a clue, but decided against it because it might make her paranoid.

But she wasn't the only one that day that I saw and really thought, "I should know that person". One theory I've developed is that through all my travels I've seen thousands of people. And I'm one of those people who remembers faces, but I'm terrible with names. I've been in pretty much every major city in North America, in fact, the only US States I haven't visited are Alaska, Idaho, and Vermont. So, maybe since I've seen and met so many people all over the country over the years that I just can't remember everybody.

Then I consider another event that occurred in the Pittsburgh airport a few years ago. I was on the way somewhere, with a connection through Pittsburgh. Probably US Airways, since it's their hub. Anyway, when I walked up to my departure gate, I immediately noticed a woman there that looked very familiar. Not just "I've seen her before" familiar, but "I used to know her very well" familiar. Let me stress this point - I thought I knew her Very Well, as in Intimately, sometime in the past.

As I began trying to dredge up a memory of who she might be or how I knew her, I noticed she was looking back at me very intently. We spent the next 10 minutes playing a casual game of looking at each other but pretending not to, until she got up and strode directly over to where I was seated.

She began with, "I beg your pardon, but I just had the strongest feeling that I know you from somewhere". I responded that I had the same feeling. We discussed it for awhile, each trying to figure out where or when we may have met. But neither of us could figure it out. We tried out where we've each lived, where we went to College, even what sort of work we did, but nothing clicked. We both went on to our eventual destinations, and that was the end of it. But I still think back to that encounter from time to time and try again to figure out why we both would have such a strong feeling that we knew each other, when it seems impossible.

Like I said, welcome to the Twilight Zone. Between this sort of stuff, my unique other spooky experiences, and other prescient events, it's why Nick calls me "creepy" sometimes. But I don't think it's creepy at all, and there very well could be a very logical explanation for everything. I just haven't figured out what that explanation is just yet.

No comments: