Sunday, April 03, 2005

The Light at the end of the Tunnel

Today was the nicest day I've had in a very long time. Sometimes I don't realize how badly things have been going until they get better and I look back. Well, this is a day where, almost miraculously, things turned the corner, the light appeared at the end of the tunnel, or choose your own cliched analogy.

After an Autumn of hope but some stress over the slow business progress, the winter came. The stress of uncertainty over the success or failure of the business intensified, I began accepting out-of-town consulting assignments from my former employer, and my family were at each other's throats like never before.

High stress was due to constant bickering at home, the eldest off at college making it clear he had no desire to return home, even for a visit, the "great flood" from the upstairs bathroom, our inability to get Health Insurance at any price, the sullen, angry, and absolute rebelliousness of son #2, and my absolute inability to do anything about any of it.

But today was different. Everyone was in good spirits, nobody fought, and we were even able to have a little bit of fun this weekend as a family.

Why? The change in the weather was certainly a factor. After a dismal and dreary winter and spring, we finally got a day that was sunny, warm, and pleasant. But that can't be the only reason. We also were attending Masses to commemorate John Paul II, which seems to have effected everyone in some way. But that effect isn't easy to define, other than the signs from the rest of the family that show their respect and concern.

For my part, I got the call Saturday afternoon asking me to sing for the Saturday evening Mass at St. B's, which they wanted to make special in remembrance of the Pope. Initially, I just was mildly honored to be asked, but there was a very special atmosphere in that Mass that didn't really come from the presider, the musicians, or the congregation. In fact, there wasn't that much said about John Paul II at the Mass, but nonetheless the hushed and prayerful attitude of the very large turnout told its own story of the significance of the day.

Our a capella rendition of Ave Verum Corpus turned out to be a very good choice, I think. It was surpising to each of us that we were able to put the quintet together so quickly and pull off the moderately challenging piece as if we'd been rehearsing for weeks. Knowing it sounds kooky to most people, I have to feel like we had a little divine assistance with that performance.

As the end of that Mass approached, we were singing an hymn, and I suddenly found myself getting choked up. Even telling myself that there was no reason to be emotional, I still felt deeply in a way very similar to the emotions present at my brother's and mother's funerals.

Interesting that I didn't start out this blog with the intent of writing a tribute to the Pope, but somehow that's how it turned out. My conclusion is that I'm thankful for whatever helped restore harmony to my family, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to have Karol Wojtyla as probably the greatest Pope of the modern era.

Now I hope the family harmony continues.

No comments: