Monday, September 03, 2007

Rambling on Labor Day

Traveling on Labor Day. Oh well, you do what you have to.

Notre Dame looked worse than I expected on Saturday. Either Georgia Tech is on their way to a National Championship or the Irish have fallen very hard. The Irish defense clearly hasn't improved from last year, when I'd suggest that porous defense was the reason ND couldn't make the mix for the top tier.

Now they need to break in a new offense. It was completely rattled by Tech. I'm thinking the best ND fans can hope for this year is one game over .500 and a minor bowl. The question is whether Charlie can build on his young guys for next season. We'll see.

An emotional Indiana football team had their memorial for Coach Hep, then proceeded to steamroll poor Indiana State. It's nice that they got the first win of the season, and the memorial was moving. But we won't know whether they're any better this year until they get into the Big Ten season. It might be nice to see them spring a suprise on one or two Big Ten teams this year. We'll see.

It was a bit surprising to find Air America on the radio when I got to my destination today. I thought they'd gone bankrupt. Anyway, I was curious enough to listen for a few minutes. It really struck me that they live in some sort of alternate universe. I figured they'd be over the constant Bush hatred thing, but no - impeaching Bush and Cheney remains their obsession.

It was interesting to hear the guys on the program (I didn't catch either person's name - neither was anybody I'd ever heard of before) go on and on about their impeachment dream, but then actually they briefly admitted that there was no specific charge that could be used. They even mentioned, in perhaps the most honest moment I heard, that Clinton was impeached for specific crimes of perjury and suborning perjury and obstructing justice. I about keeled over to hear somebody from their side actually admit as much.

But they really went off the tracks talking about how Bush has rolled back civil rights and is just a dictator. Wierd from people who love Cesar Chavez and Fidel Castro. I had a desire to ask them for an example of such civil rights violations by Bush and Cheney - can they produce a single American citizen who has been denied rights by the government in the name of fighting terrorism? Hmm, if it's true that Bush is guilty of illegal surveillance of guys like them who talk to each other every day about how much they hate him, why haven't they been arrested by this dictatorial regime? Or harrassed? Or even questioned?

Wow. These guys should go ahead and move to Venezuela or Cuba. I'd like them to experience first-hand what it's like to live under such benevolent regimes without Bush or Cheney around.

So bizarre.

No comments: