Monday, September 18, 2006

Taking Jobs from Canadians

So I got the permit after a 2-hour wait at the border this morning. The best part is that I no longer have to sweat whether they're going to let me in or turn me away every time I come up here.

The immigration attorney that helped me get the permit said the basic issue is that there are some "union types" working in Canadian immigration that are really tough on anybody they think might be taking work from Canadians. Which I'm not, because there isn't anybody in Canada who can do what I do.

The funny thing is I really don't care whether I work in Canada or not. I find Windsor a boring place, and feel as though I always lose on the currency exchanges. It's really just about the client, helping them get what they need from their systems.

For those who have done much air travel, have you ever noticed these irritating things at the airports?

Now that everybody has to check a bag or leave behind anything liquid, the baggage carousels are jammed with people. They line up right against the carousel all the way around. So unless I squeeze in with the rest of the human wall, I can't even see if my bag's coming around. I tried to figure out some way to lead by example, standing about 6 feet away from the carousel. See, if everyone did that, there would be plenty of room, everyone could see the bags coming off, then move forward to grab their bag when it comes around. But apparently nobody else sees the wisdom in that system. Rather than play the rude game of shouldering people aside for a place at the carousel, I just wait until the crowd thins enough so I can see and grab my bag.

Then there's the rental car bus. So many times I get on the bus to the car rental lot and wait. People keep coming out of the airport and getting on the bus. After awhile the driver tries to close the doors to drive us to the lot, but just then two more people walk up and bang on the doors. So we have to wait for them to get on, then more people show up and get on. And so on, until it's seemingly an hour before the driver finally just shuts the doors and drives off to the lot. Even then, sometimes people run up to the bus that's driving away and scream and hammer on the doors! Really irritating - they should wait for the next bus like everyone else.

The good thing about everyone having to check their bags: Plenty of overhead space. I don't have to worry about getting on the plane as early as possible so I don't get stuck having to put the laptop case under the seat, which makes the already cramped legroom even more cramped. It's incredible how empty those overhead bins are these days.

Now I'm just trying to regain my elite status on the airlines so I get the automatic upgrades again. You can't beat first class.

No comments: