Friday, September 01, 2006

I don't do movie reviews

But this is an exception. I saw Invincible last night. Loved it.

Right off the bat the movie starts with Jim Croce's "I've Got a Name". You couldn't have picked anything better to set the tone. The music throughout the film was perfect.

The film was inspiring but low-key. I thought it was masterful the way they didn't slap you across the face with sappy dialogue. Instead, Wahlberg really doesn't say much at all throughout the movie. You get to know his character instead through his expressions and body language and some great camera work.

I have some vague memories of the story that provided the inspiration for this movie. I do remember there was a guy who got on the Philadelphia Eagles team through an open tryout. Otherwise I didn't pay much attention. I've never had much use for the Eagles.

I can't imagine anybody disliking this film. Best movie I've seen in a long time. Is it better than "Rudy"? Hard to say definitively, but it's definitely in the same league.

No comments: