Saturday, February 12, 2005

What Weekend?

The weekend is here, but I've got far too much going on to be able to enjoy it.

Got back from Chicago last night, and then got up early to get my proposal ready for the prospective web client that came to visit this morning. Although it was an encouraging meeting, I've been through many like it before. Typical story is, I get through the demos, find out specifically what they want, develop the proposal for just that, then get the standard "we'll get back to you". Hopefully this isn't one of those.

If I could just get a couple of these clients signed up now and then, I wouldn't have to go on the road so much. The attraction of the consulting thing, besides it being very easy for me to do, is that I get paid pretty well, and by the hour. None of that working into the night or getting up at 6AM to prepare and then getting no result. It's a whole lot harder to sign up a new client than to deliver services that have already been sold by somebody else. It's totally shot my confidence in having any ability to sell; I'm not sure I could sell ice water to people in ..., well you get the idea.

Ever try to get health insurance on your own? Turns out it's impossible if anybody in your family has ever had a diagnosis. Tim's the picture of health, and they won't insure him because he was once diagnosed with asthma. Claudia's fine, but had a hip replacement, so she's uninsurable. I'm overweight, also uninsurable. What a messed up system. If only I could hire one or two people in my business, then we could get group insurance, no sweat.

Gotta get started on taxes this weekend as well, since the financial aid info for the boys is due. And I've got to sing tonight on top of it all. Then back to Chicago right after class on Monday.

Here's the only bright side. There isn't any football on this weekend for me to miss, except maybe the Pro Bowl, which isn't all that exciting.

No comments: