Monday, February 21, 2005

Racial Ramblings

I haven't been able to blog for awhile, between an outrageous schedule and lacking a connection to the net in the evenings for a week. For some reason, probably all the stuff we're getting right now on "Black History Month", it's brought forward lots of thoughts about the whole race issue. If you are sensitive and pc, you might want to stop reading now, because I've decided to be completely honest in the following analysis.

The popular societal trends and attitudes these days say that we western-european-caucasian-whitebread folks should feel guilt about our forefathers' treatment of the black race. Affirmative Action is a racial preference program that noone should dare question lest they be labeled "racists". It has even been suggested that those who don't support the so-called "reparations" movement are also racist bigots. That one suggests that we all should contribute toward today's equivalent of "40 acres and a mule" that was suggested by a Union General after the Civil War to help slaves start their new lives in freedom. Today's equivalent of 40 acres and a mule is actually quite a lot of money; if 40 acres is worth $10k/acre on the low end and today's mule might be a Ford Pickup truck, we're looking at reparations being about $450,000.

What is today's status of this problem of race in our country? Are blacks still discriminated against in the workplace? Yes, there are probably lots of instances you could find if you looked hard enough where a qualified black person was denied a job because of their skin color. However, if you looked harder, you would also find the same denial to Asians, Hispanics, most definitely Middle-Easterners, women, homosexuals, smokers, fat people, people who look just like a hated relative of the hiring manager, I could go on and on.

There's lots of talk about diversity and tolerance, suggesting that all those red-necks who don't agree with giving preferential treatment to blacks and homosexuals are no better than the KKK. Somehow anyone who objects to preferential treatment for any group is full of "intolerance, bigotry, and hatred". Allow me to suggest it is those who use those labels to define people that disagree with them are the only ones guilty of those attitudes.

What forms my opinions on the subject is a mixture of my own education and experience. First of all, I honestly do not hate anybody, and do not expect that I ever will. In my lifetime, when I have found individuals that are unpleasant to be around, I have simply politely separated myself from them. Of the few individuals I can think of who fell into that category, none were black.

Some of the most friendly, outgoing, genuinely likeable people I have known and been friends with have been black. Strictly on a racial factor, I have personally liked far more of the blacks I have met than Asians or Hispanics. In fact, if I were in charge of hiring for a technical position today, I would find it much easier to hire a qualified black than an Asian, because I have found it much more difficult to develop friendly relationships with Asians. But here begins my experiential reasoning for my opinions. In the case of my black friends, I noticed an unmistakeable trend: They were all shunned by their racial peers as "acting white", "uncle Toms", and were social outcasts among those in the closed racial circles.

My first experiences with this phenomenon were when I was a student at Ball State. My black friends were outcasts from the larger group of blacks on campus, who largely kept to themselves, and regarded my friends as some sort of traitors. It's difficult to relate to a group of people who form relationships only with people of their own race and regard everyone else as untrustworthy. On top of that, the campus fraternity members literally branded themselves and their pledges ran around campus at night wearing only shorts and chains.

Living in South Carolina for six years, where black people were in the majority, substantially added to that experience. The schools were dismal failures in academic achievement, so those who could afford it generally sent their children to private and parochial schools. Interestingly, studies were done on this poor performance, which uncovered several contributing factors that the local people had known for some time.

The high schools in particular had ongoing gang issues. Any black student who aspired to do well in school was socially rejected by his/her peers, and might even be at risk of beatings by the school gangs for "acting white". Many black students who took their studies seriously went to elaborate lengths to hide their good grades from others, and would slide into the black slang (called "ebonics" by some) when in the presence of their peers. It was incredibly difficult for a black child to excel in school in South Carolina because of the extremely negative culture.

Other studies on Affirmative Action have found that the preferential spots reserved for blacks almost always go to affluent black students. Again, to cite my own observations when I attended graduate school at the University of South Carolina, government programs simply do not work. Here's what I saw at USC:

People in South Carolina were rather upset that their own students (of all races) were unable to get into the more highly sought degree programs in their own state university. According to USC, high school graduates of the state mostly did not meet the minimum requirements for acceptance into those degree programs. Most of the students in those programs came from out of state or out of the country.

Then there was my own graduate program. I was in the MBA program at USC that was structured for working people. As I recall, approximately 25 percent of our entering class in the program were black. When I graduated, there were only two left (not 2 percent, 2 students!). Understandably, there is a lot of attrition from a program like that. It's intense and very difficult to keep up with studies in a Master's program where you meet in 4-hour evening sessions 2-3 times per week, then all day Saturday every third week. And all sorts of people had to drop out, take some time off, or failed for a variety of reasons. But on a percentage basis, the attrition of the black students in particular was shocking.

I saw a similar situation develop when I went to school for my computer degree. There was a fairly large contingent of black people who began the computer program, but almost none completed it successfully. A particular incident I had direct knowledge of was a black female student who noticed that all the employees in the computer lab were white. So she went to the school administration and demanded she be hired to work in the lab or she would bring a discrimination lawsuit against the school. She was hired, and was terribly unqualified for the job. Whenever I had a shift immediately following hers, it always took me at least the first hour of my shift to clean up her "messes", which ranged from huge backlogs in turnaround of student projects to one time when she actually "crashed" the system. As much as I would like to be able to say that there were black people at that school who would have been qualified to work for that computer lab, there absolutely was not a single one. It was a small school, and I knew pretty much everyone, and helped many with their projects. I knew who was competent and who was not. Sadly, they were not.

One interesting fact, also from my experience in the educational system, was that race alone was not the determining factor of success in technical programs. I knew some black students from Africa and the Caribbean who were extremely successful. It was the American-born black students who were incapable of succeeding in the technical coursework.

On a personal basis, we had a black family next door to us for our last couple of years in South Carolina. The father was in the Army (there's a large base in Columbia), and was a genuinely great guy. His son and mine (Tim) played together almost every day, and were inseparable. However, the mother of the family was standoffish, and we saw her very little.

One day, the two boys apparently had a spat over a toy. According to Claudia, the neighbor boy's mother was terribly upset and accused our son of a racial motive for taking his toys and coming home after the boys had their argument. This floored us, as the boys were only about 4 or 5 years old, and were great friends. Disputes over toys is quite normal at that age, and of course this one was already forgotten and the boys playing together as if nothing had happened. But the whole racial preconceptions seemed to be so deeply ingrained in the mother that her first reaction was that the argument was somehow a racial issue.

There are some, especially Bill Cosby, who are crusading to get black families stronger and more focused on morality and education. I'm in total agreement with him and others like him. Blacks will not escape their plight by forcing the rest of us to give them their 40 acres and a mule, but by keeping their families together and rubbing out the whole culture of alienation.

Given my age, I believe there have been great strides in educational opportunity and achievement. I sincerely hope that black students are succeeding in many technical programs in much better numbers, and that the negative cultural messages are beginning to be overcome.

1 comment:

N said...

agree... similar post somewhere on my blog. it's a little more vehement, but yeah...