Friday, December 08, 2006

Eye on the Prize

Since I couldn't get the early morning flight out, I'm hanging out in the hotel room for another half hour before heading to the airport and home. It feels like a long week. Maybe it's the cold and snow.

Next week includes a meeting with a company that may sign up to keep me exclusively for the forseeable future. Ordinarily it seems like I'd be excited by that prospect, but instead I don't really care. Sure, it can be comforting to know there won't be a dry spell in work for a long time. And less travel is always good. But on the other hand, what I like most about this consulting thing is the variety. The deal I'm working on will be more like becoming a corporate employee again, which is restrictive and boring, among other negatives.

What I do instead is look at the big picture. I have to continue to take everything I can get and work like a maniac until the boys are out of college, the house is paid off, we have decent vehicles, and enough put away in the retirement accounts. Then I can just do this consulting stuff for fun, maybe taking around a dozen days of work a month and doing whatever I want the rest of the time.

That time seems a long way off right now. I just have to hope I make it there in time to enjoy it.

No comments: