Friday, December 01, 2006

Equating Radical Islam with Fundamentalist Christianity

There was an atheist talking about religion, and I was curious enough to listen for awhile. Being a person of fairly strong religious conviction myself, I suppose I should have found his message insulting. Because, according to this leader of some sort of atheist organization in America, I'm a stupid uneducated troglodyte superstitious bigoted homophobic dogmatic ignoramus. I might have left out a few more adjectives to describe what the atheist thinks of me, but I suppose I recalled enough to get the point.

This guy was asked by the host if he was ruling out any possibility of a higher power or intelligent ordering of the universe. He said yes. His simple statement was that, absent empirical scientific evidence of the existence of God, there can be no God. With him, as well as many others I often hear railing against some imagined evils perpetuated by "organized religion", my first question is, what is it that happened to him in his life that has made him so hate Christianity?

His purpose was also made clear, and it should be noted by anyone who values their religious liberty. That purpose is the marginalization and eventual removal of religion from society. He has a quite Marxist philosophy in this area, believing not that people should be free to believe or not believe as they choose, but that the institutions of society should work hard to purge all their superstitious beliefs. By force of law, if necessary. Of course, this crusade begins in the public schools, which must use science education to convince all children that there is no God.

In this atheist's world, there is no difference between the Radical Islam factions that are currently wreaking havoc on people around the planet and a fundamentalist Christian. It doesn't seem to register with him that there aren't any Christians blowing themselves up in WalMart or flying airplanes into City Hall.

I discovered by listening long enough that this guy has no clue what a Christian really is, or what the faith actually teaches. His most often repeated example of why Christians are idiots was that many believe the world is only about 6,000 years old. His second example was that most Christians believe Christ will return to save the world in their lifetime. That most Christians are so ignorant as to have rejected macro evolution theory, which of course he regards as proven fact. And he was particularly upset at Christians who have suggested that events from 9/11 to Katrina might have been examples of God's wrath on our permissive society (homosexuality being the chief sin needing punished, by his inference).

What an amazingly distorted and ignorant view of the Christian faith he has. If I didn't go to church regularly myself, I would think from his description that Christian services were no different from Klan meetings. It seems that he has abandoned the very logical and critical thought he claims to value so highly in favor of his own particular brand of religion, called atheism.

I've found my own definition of an atheist. Atheist: A person who holds an intense hatred for organized religions and those who practice them, especially Christians. An atheist is a political activist, involved in an intense campaign to remove religion from society.

Delusional. And very sad.

It will make him angry, but I think I'll pray for him.

No comments: