Sunday, March 20, 2005

Spring Break

Here it is, my Spring Break Post! I'm looking forward to some warm weather, relaxation, and time with extended family.

So as promised, to follow up on my pet peeves, I'll turn to the positive side and post my favorite things. These are the best things I've experienced in my life, many of which will never happen again. I know a lot of this dates me, but so what. Maybe new, enen better things will happen in the future. But some memories are so good I'm sad that they'll always just remain memories while being happy they happened in the first place.

Favorite Things/Memories:
  • shooting baskets
  • snorkeling in Hawaii
  • Singing in front of a huge crowd of Russians who were loving it
  • The whole performing tour of Russia, Latvia, and Poland
  • Dress Rehearsals for Musicals & Operas at College
  • 2AM Breakfasts with friends at Sambo's (Think Denny's in 1977)
  • Disco in the 70's (go ahead and make fun, it was a blast)
  • Seeing almost the entire US and a big chunk of Canada
  • Taking young sons to minor league baseball games in S. Carolina
  • Finding "the zone" and going off for 26 points in HS JV basketball game
  • Beating Frat boy teams in basketball with the "Concert Choir" team
  • Watching Larry Bird & the Celtics in his prime, almost courtside during playoffs against Atlanta
  • Playing with the Trombone Choir
  • Traveling all over the place performing with University Singers
  • Signing autographs
  • Seeing Texas Rangers vs. NY Yankees at brand new stadium, 3 rows above the Yankees dugout
  • Driving through the countryside with my favorite tunes on the radio and a sweet girl tucked under my arm
  • Tobogganing in Michigan with all my friends
  • Trip to Cedar Point Amusement Park after all-night party with friends
  • Meeting and talking with Red Skelton before a show
  • Hanging out with Atlanta Rhythm Section band after a concert
  • Singing a song that touches the audience - seeing emotions and tears out there as I sing
  • Nailing a performance and feeling the audience's reaction
  • Family Florida trips
  • Pancaking DB's in football
  • Dancing (sorry, you'll never see me do that again!)
  • Dancing at the Disco in Poznan, Poland
  • Touring Buenos Aires, staying at the Intercontinental
  • Sledding with a gang of friends
  • Singing "O Canada" and "The Star-Spangled Banner" under a spotlight at center ice for the Komets hockey team
  • Late-night recording sessions
  • Sitting around a living room with lots of friends singing and playing games
  • Going to NCAA basketball tournament
  • Colts games
  • Soccer tournaments with Nick
  • Getting to every football game this past Fall and watching Tim's team get to Final 4
  • Ball State Men's volleyball vs. Ohio State in '77
  • Singing for weddings
  • Meeting Red Skelton, Bob Hope, Don Shula, McKenzie Phillips, Wierd Al Yankovic, England Dan & John Ford Coley, Harry Chapin, Donnie & Marie Osmond, Maureen McGovern, Mario Andretti, Robert Ballard, Kenny Rogers, Crystal Gayle, Daryl Hall & John Oates, David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Merle Haggard, and others that slip my mind right now.
  • Ice Cream
  • Walking on the beach (any beach)
  • Evening alone with my girl, fire in the fireplace, and Chicago on the stereo
  • Steaks on the grill
  • Manhattan Transfer in concert
  • Taping singing performances for television
  • Family vacations at Lake Tippecanoe
  • Sailing, boating, skiing
  • Trips to Gatlinburg, Tennessee
  • Seeing Nick as the Prince in Cinderella
  • Fishing and not caring whether I catch anything
  • Living at the Monastery
  • Playing with my toddlers
  • Watching kids grow up

There are plenty more, but that's enough for now.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Wow! You've lived quite a life Dan. I would LOVE to be talented enough to be in a musical. I grew up watching pretty much all of them. The Sound of Music has always been my favorite though, probably because it brings back fond memories of my childhood.