Friday, July 09, 2010

Recharge or Overload?

Getting time off without specific vacation plans is not something I'm looking forward to repeating anytime soon.

While there is no question I needed a break; I was on the road about 6 weeks straight, and have been fighting through a particularly troublesome project. But a vacation without specific plans only works for a couple of days, before I get restless.

Getting away to recharge was definitely the right prescription for the week of Independence Day. Even though folks tried their best to pull me back in while I was "away", I studiously worked to avoid or hold them off until my return to work.

One downside to the free time is my natural tendency to pay more attention to the news. Nearly every news item, by which I mean actual serious news, and not what team LeBron will pick or how long Lindsay Lohan is going to be in jail, affects my mood in a most negative manner.

Only one of many stories that cause blood boiling is the one about the New Black Panthers and the Attorney General of the United States. I suppose many people would do no more than raise an eyebrow when they heard (if they heard at all) that the Obama "Justice" department dropped all charges on the voter intimidation case, after the case was already won.

But now it dribbles out that the case is the tip of a frighteningly large iceberg, where the politically-driven law enforcement agency is pursuing an agenda designed to insure that Democrat-friendly voter fraud and intimidation activities are given free rein.

The whistle-blower Christian Adams testified that the DOJ officially goes much farther than simply dismissing an already-won suit against the criminal charges of voter intimidation with threats of violence. The official DOJ policy is to encourage maximum voter turnout by discouraging States from following laws related to purging voter rolls of the deceased, those who have moved way from a precinct, convicted felons, and other registered voters who are no longer qualified.

That's the scandal that is being studiously avoided by everybody but the conservative media. I don't know what's the bigger outrage - the scandal itself or the failure of the journalist fraternity to perform their public duty to expose such corruption as goes to the heart of the continued viability of our democratic republic.

Oops.

See what I mean about the double-edged sword that is too much free time?

Could it possibly be that I'm looking forward to getting back to work on Monday?

No comments: