Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Controlling Others

Something I'm not very good at is getting control over the behavior of people when they aren't meeting requirements.

I think I'm pretty good at setting expectations and communicating requirements. When those who receive such information are motivated and able to complete the tasks, things go very well.

I'm currently experiencing stress over a project with a single resource who does not seem to be interested in accepting those requirements and expectations. Which has caused problems with the project and reflected on me.

So I brought in additional resources - I actually tried to replace the problem child completely, but the company wouldn't go along with that. The additional resources took the requirements and instructions, rolled up their sleeves and got it done.

Meanwhile the original person remained uncommunicative and non-productive. Today I presented for the fourth time the same issue that's been outstanding for 3 weeks. As with the previous three times, I have been promised a fix by morning. It seems I have a daily task of reviewing the "fix", saying "nope, that didn't work", and repeating.

Trying to do my best to understand, I figure there are only a few possible causes of these problems:

1. The person isn't really qualified to do the work, but doesn't want to admit it.
2. There is some sort of negative opinion of me and the result is either conscious or unconscious sabotage.
3. The person just doesn't care whether it gets done right or on time, and just tries to get paid as much as possible.

In this case, my working theory is #1. But it could just as easily be #2 or #3, or maybe a combination of all 3.

What can I do to avoid this problem in the future?

Well, I can guarantee I won't accept this particular person on any project I'm managing in the future.

But every project is a roll of the dice. I know some folks who do an excellent job and I would use them in a hearbeat. But of course, they're also the ones who are most in demand and may not be available when I need them.

So they give me the folks who aren't so busy.

Its a dilemma.

No comments: