Friday, October 05, 2007

Football

My indulgence is Football. The best part about this time of year is plenty of football. I like it all, from high school to college to the NFL.

The local high school teams are both very good again this year. Columbus North was tripped by Indianapolis Pike a couple weeks back for their only loss so far, and East's only loss is to their crosstown rivals. I enjoy going out to the high school games, not just for the football, but for the overall atmosphere.

Think things have changed over all these decades of high school football games on autumn Friday nights? Not much, as far as I can tell. The parents in the stands rooting for their kid (whether playing football or a band instrument), middle-school kids wandering in packs trying to be "cool" (or whatever word passes for "cool" these days), high schoolers trying to impress each other. I don't see any real difference from xx years ago when I was one of those junior-high kids or a football player on the field. Take my generation and drop them into the Columbus North football stadium and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I enjoy seeing the senior players, playing as hard as they can to make their last few weeks as an athlete memorable. And the young players, itching for a chance to show what they can do under the lights with the varsity. The marching band, with their intricate marching patterns and enthusiasm for their music. What better chance is there to experience real life and real people getting together for an event they can all share.

It's my favorite pastime to catch the high school team, my favorite college teams (Notre Dame, Indiana, South Carolina, maybe Purdue), and the Colts every weekend as the leaves turn and the weather gets colder.

No comments: