Monday, August 20, 2007

Staying Positive

Busy times. Not much time to post these days.

Lately I've found new perspectives and continue to learn. Some things fascinate me, and when I pick up new perspectives that deepen understanding, it gives me a feeling of satisfaction.

Frustration with things political has almost led me to give up caring. For example, I recently heard a member of the Dem leadership admit that the party will attempt to force an exit from Iraq regardless of progress that will be reported next month. In other words, facts don't matter, security and stability don't matter; only political power for the party matters. It saddens me.

Candidates win by saying nothing of substance. When they speak in vague, blue sky utopian dreams, they can make people feel good. People vote for who makes them feel good. The last thing a presidential candidate wants to do is take an actual clear position on some issue. Because whatever the issue and whatever the position, half the voters won't like it.

We're in the most partisan and acrimonious time since the Civil War. All that's missing is the shooting. I wonder if the shooting will start after next year's elections? I'm not sure, but I am nearly sure that the freedoms of speech, religion, and possibly arms will be denied us very soon. I'm also pretty sure that government bureaucrats will make our healthcare decisions for all of us within the next decade.

The path is set. The next decade will be interesting, to say the least.

All I can do is stay positive. It helps to limit time spent watching television news, which drives up blood pressure. Better yet, football season is starting, creating my favorite diversion from more serious things.

Will the Colts win their opening game against the Saints? Too early to tell, but my early bet is no. Maybe when I have a chance, I'll post my preseason football thoughts.

No comments: