Thursday, November 02, 2006

Clarity

The strange thing going on inside my head these days is this frightening clarity. It's as if I know all the answers, everything makes sense, and I understand everything that's going on. At the same time, I feel completely powerless to affect any of it.

Somehow it seems I understand everyone I know who's more than a casual acquaintance. I understand, but in the cases where I know they're messed up, am powerless to help them.

When two people I know well are in conflict, I understand both sides of the conflict, but can't do a thing to make either of them reconcile. Maybe because they don't want to reconcile. I just don't like it when they try to stick me in the middle. Because the truth is, they're both wrong more than either of them is right. And nobody likes being told they're wrong. And reconciliation requires humility and remorse, which proud and stubborn people will never express.

I understand every problem related to my business. Those problems I can solve, I solve. Those I can't, I just do the best I can.

I understand what people think about politics and next week's elections. But there's no way I can affect anybody else's voting decisions. Because everyone has chosen sides. Most are voting emotionally instead of logically, and that frightens me a bit.

I'm in a room full of people who are discussing something, which maybe is some sort of problem or decision they can't seem to solve. I understand their problem completely and know exactly what they need to do - I have the perfect answer. But I'm invisible. I try to get their attention, but they ignore me like I'm not there.

So with a sad shake of the head, I just leave the room and leave them to what I'm sure will be a bad decision for everyone. Including me.

No comments: