Monday, March 20, 2006

Wired Differently

I've concluded that conflict between people happens for a simple reason: We are all wired differently. Our attitudes, opinions, beliefs, passions, and behavior is driven by who we are, and who we are is determined by a combination of nature and nurture.

There are certain traits and characteristics in each of us that are most definitely hard-wired. I know that my basic personality was there from birth. As were the personalities of my sisters, my brother, my childhood friends, my own children. How else can one explain the varied personalities of all these people, who were essentially born and raised in a relatively homogeneous environment?

I can attest through my own observation to a number of general tendencies:

Women are driven by emotion. Men are more rational (except when it comes to women).

Having an extensive education doesn't guarantee common sense. Just observe the average college professor.

Little education doesn't necessarily mean one is stupid. With the exception of those who coasted through school and never learned to read. There are plenty of relatively uneducated people I've met in my life that have an inspiring amount of wisdom and common sense.

Introverts are born introverts. Extroverts are born extroverts. Introverts can learn to be a little better socially, while extroverts don't believe they have a problem.

Anybody can find God. Anybody can reject God. Everybody has their own reasons.

Talented writers, artists, and musicians generally aren't very good at math. Mathematic geniuses generally have no talent whatsoever.

Great athletes generally aren't very good students. Perhaps it's just a matter of time management. Perhaps they are wired that way.

Me? I have always been the proverbial jack of all trades, which also means master of none.

I was a good student, but not exceptional (too lazy). I was quite good at the humanities, could handle math OK as long as I kept up with the homework, but was awful in science and art.

I was a decent athlete, but not exceptional (too lazy). I'm a pretty good singer, but will never make prime time (too lazy? not sure).

I'm more analytical than creative.

I'm introverted and have no problem with that.

I'm a person of faith.

I'm capable of being the best friend you ever had, but am waiting for you to discover that fact.

I'm not very good at saying "No".

In High School, I belonged to almost all the groups: Eggheads (now called 'geeks', I think), Musicians (now called 'bandies'?), Jocks (still called 'jocks' as far as I know). Well, then again, I sort of belonged to them all but then again belonged to none of them. I stayed away from the drama and choir groups in High School because of the perceived stigma of being a guy in that scene, but when I got to College, I got involved in both, deciding that I wasn't going to let the presence of a few sexual deviants stop me from doing what I found enjoyable.

As if anyone who knows me well doesn't already know all of this ...

IyamwhatIyamandthatsallthatIyam. Popeye

1 comment:

N said...

Men are just as much driven by emotion. They're just very different emotions that tend to lend themselves better to rational behavior.

Overeducation can blind you to the real world. Communism looks good on paper.

Math is a talent by itself. Believe me, it's way harder and takes more genius than music or writing.

Great athletes, maybe, but I find that good athletes' determination shows through in other aspects of their lives.

Whoo jack of all trades club!

Introverted vs. extroverted is an argument that I decided to ignore. I'll be as much of either as the situation demands.

Taking a stand is never easy.