Saturday, March 25, 2006

Calm Before the Storm

Bought my airline ticket for next week, meaning I have one more week of relative boredom before kicking into high gear. The month of April is booked. And every week but one involves a plane trip to elsewhere: Mostly Canada and Nevada.

Which reminds me, I have one week to get a letter from somewhere that won't get me held up at the border when I go to Canada. Gives me a kind of funny thought - me, a US wetback crossing into Canada to take work from a Canadian. Makes me laugh.

The interesting thing about this turn of events is that I'm actually looking forward to a jam-packed schedule that takes me far away every week. There's even a possible trip to Botswana out there this summer sometime. Two years ago I was so sick of airports and hotels that I quit my job with the intention of never getting on a plane again, except maybe for vacation.

But lately I've been bored and restless. I find myself somewhat excited to get back on the road. Not to mention my discovery that the old gypsy lifestyle is a lot more lucrative, hour-for-hour, than what I am doing back home in Indiana.

So here's to late flights, overbooked hotels, stupid TSA drones, bad rental cars, middle seats in coach, obnoxious clients, lost luggage, and bad restaurants. After two years in exile, I have returned.

No comments: