Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Free Speech Isn't Free

I saw a little article about somebody who got fired from a job because he was overheard expressing an opinion against gay marriage. Unless he expressed it directly to a gay person and threatened to beat them up over the issue, it seems to me he has a cause of action against his company.

It got me thinking about all the politically incorrect things I believe that would probably get me fired, if I worked for a university or a company with liberal Human Resources policies (like Cummins here in Columbus).

Here are the things I believe that could get me fired or otherwise persecuted if I happened to say them out loud.

1. Gay Rights: They don't have any special rights, nor do they deserve any. I don't support throwing them in jail, but there is no reason to pretend that their behavior merits special protections. They can do disgusting things with other consenting adults behind closed doors, but I don't have to hear about it. And I don't have to hire an openly gay employee any more than I should be forced to hire anyone I consider of questionable morality. Why should gays receive health benefits at work for their "domestic partner" when hetero couples or non-sexual partners and roommates can't? Want to call me a "homophobe"? Wrong term. I'm more of a "homopitier", because I feel sorry for anyone who is brainwashed into joining the lifestyle and making their sexual behavior their single defining characteristic.

2. I support the Iraq war. Actually, I had some reservations when the debate was happening before the congress actually approved the war. But I firmly believe that once our country votes to commit troops to war, we all must do whatever possible to help make sure the war ends quickly and in victory. In fact, I think political opposition has caused the Bush Administration to soften their execution of the war, which I firmly believe causes us to lose more soldiers to the bombs planted by the "insurgents". We should be enforcing martial law, sealing Iraq's borders, finding and confiscating all unauthorized weapons and bombs, and forcing peace as we transition control to the new Iraqi government. I also believe that we should present Iraq with a bill for our liberation services, to be repaid in preferential oil options, free military base leases for, say, 50 years, etc.

3. I believe that men and women are inherently different by design. And that there are certain things that, in general, are best done by men, just as there are other things best handled by women. Of course, I recognize that there are exceptions to every rule. So, fine: If women want to fight side-by-side with men in the military, they must meet all the same physical requirements as men. And there are plenty of other examples, but here's the one that would really get me in trouble in this PC world: There is no better way to raise children than to have their mother stay home with them. Day Care is harmful to child development, and having the father stay at home would be better, but men just aren't as good at nurturing children. It's all how we're wired, and that won't change just because we might wish it so.

4. The government has no business telling anybody against whom they may or may not discriminate. Affirmative Action is nothing more than a program to give rich black kids preference in university admissions and government jobs. My opinion is that you either outlaw all forms of discrimination or butt out. People are discriminated against every day for all sorts of reasons: She has an irritating personality. He looks like a hated ex-husband. She's too fat, so she must be lazy too. His pants are too short. I hear she's an awful gossip. He's a total klutz. Her hairstyle is hideous. He's got a bad acne problem. She just got married, so she'll probably just take off on maternity leave right after her health benefits kick in.

5. Abortion isn't a right, it's infanticide. No need to expand on that one.

The funny thought I just had - if somebody reads this entry who's on the opposite side of the philosophical fence, they might get so angry they might want to shoot me. But, too bad, that would mean they'd have to buy a firearm, but they can't because guns are offensive. So I'm safe from physical attacks and workplace harrassment. I could get some blog comment harrassment, but that would just be kind of fun to read. Unless it's vulgar, but I'd just click "Delete".

No comments: