Monday, January 30, 2006

The Realm of Possibilities

Lately I was thinking about the things I enjoyed the most about being young. And wondered whether I could recapture any of them before I hit 50. Here are some of them:
  • Swimming and goofing off on a diving board. Why not?
  • Playing basketball. I mean really playing, on an actual team, and being a major contributor to said team, and having a shot at a league championship. Maybe an old fogey team if I got in decent enough shape - tall order.
  • Singing in front of a very large, appreciative audience, maybe even televised. Not likely.
  • Bike Rides. Easier said than done, but possible.
  • In good physical condition such that strange women flirt or double-take. Possible? Maybe. Likely? Not at all.
  • An evening with friends where I laugh so hard I get a mild bellyache. Don't think so.
  • An evening sitting around with friends just singing. Do people even do that anymore?
Interestingly, most of the above require losing weight and/or getting in shape. Maybe I've got to reframe my perspective to be happy and successful.

In the meantime, the key question - time for a new car or hang on awhile longer? Ponder this, I must.

1 comment:

N said...

sitting around singing? drunk people, maybe.

what's stopping you from having a good time with friends, though? all it takes is a little social interaction.