Sunday, January 08, 2006

Peace

Pronunciation: 'pEs
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English pees, from Old French pais, from Latin pac-, pax; akin to Latin pacisci to agree
1 : a state of tranquillity or quiet: as a : freedom from civil disturbance b : a state of security or order within a community provided for by law or custom peace
2 : freedom from disquieting or oppressive thoughts or emotions
3 : harmony in personal relations
4 a : a state or period of mutual concord between governments b : a pact or agreement to end hostilities between those who have been at war or in a state of enmity
5 -- used interjectionally to ask for silence or calm or as a greeting or farewell
- at peace : in a state of concord or tranquillity

First please note: This is not a political post. It is simply an expression of personal reflections on peace.

Peace of mind. Contentment. Acceptance.

Isn't that what most of us ultimately crave for ourselves?

To be at peace for me means many things, including:
  • Accepting myself as I am. Sure I'll try to change those things I don't like about myself that can be changed. But I won't keep beating myself up anymore.
  • Accepting others as they are. Some people are amazing. Some are jerks. But the vast majority can be a little of both. Just like I can. So I don't sweat it anymore. I won't waste my time with the jerks, and I won't expect much from the rest. And I'm never disappointed.
  • Accepting that life has ups and downs. When things are going great, I'll just enjoy the ride while it lasts. When the bad times come, I can endure. What's the worst God can throw at me? Ever read the story of Job? Well, I've never had it that bad, and he came out of it OK.
But peace doesn't mean these things:
  • Pacifying. Giving in to a bully just encourages the bully to continue bullying. Peace never means compromising core principles, because that sort of peace is false and temporary.
  • Hiding. Conflicts don't go away if we just run away from them. They must be confronted and resolved, even if resolution means great pain. The pain is only temporary.
  • Masquerading. Putting on a false face to appease someone to avoid conflict is dishonest, not just with those who see your act, but to yourself. Don't pretend to agree with someone who is spouting evil just to avoid conflict.
Real peace is being able to live with yourself every day, knowing you are doing the best you can and are true to yourself and your beliefs. Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of truth.

And this post has used philosophic constructs in place of specific examples in order to protect the innocent (or not so innocent).

No comments: