Friday, January 13, 2006

My Friday Post

Now and then I like to do a post mostly for fun. And what can be more fun than sports? (OK, you have a suggestion, but that's not a topic I'm comfortable blogging about.)

How about my own semi-informed analysis of this weekend's NFL playoffs?

We'll start with the NFC, which I think is easy.

Seahawks/Redskins: How could you pick against Seattle this year? Especially given the dismal offensive performance of the Redskins last week in Tampa. I was actually sort of rooting for the Bucs, but their offense may have been even more pitiful than the Redskins. Unless the 'Skins defense is able to strip Alexander or pick off Hasselbeck three or four times, I don't see it happening for them. I think Seattle wins this one.

Bears/Panthers: Everybody's picking Carolina, who did look pretty good last weekend in shutting out the Giants. But Chicago's defense is capable of shutting almost anybody down. So this isn't as easy a pick as it seems. But I have to admit to be leaning toward Carolina, because it looks like it might be a warm weekend in Chicago, which takes the weather advantage away from the Bears. And Grossman has so little experience that I think he may get rattled and therefore intercepted a couple of times, especially if Chicago has to play from behind. I gotta pick Carolina in a close game - it could be a 7-6 victory.

Now the more interesting conference, from which the eventual Super Bowl champion will emerge:

Broncos/Patriots: Everybody's on the Patriots bandwagon, saying they're back and they're healthy. Sure, they finished the season looking pretty strong and blew out a pretty good Jacksonville team last week. But the Broncos aren't bad, with the second seed and home-field advantage. I view this game as a toss-up that could be decided at the very end. But then there's Plummer, who has a history of throwing picks in big games, which if that happens could result in a lopsided Patriots victory. It all hangs on the Pats' ability to stop Denver's running game and force Plummer to throw, playing catch-up from behind. As much as I fear a repeat of the Patriots bouncing the Colts once again on their way to another Super Bowl, I have to honestly predict that I think they'll probably find a way to win in Denver.

Steelers/Colts: There are several things that have made me feel pretty good about the Colts in this game. First, the stories about how close-knit and purposeful the team has become after the tragedy in Coach Dungy's family. Second, a quote from Peyton about how he has never felt more prepared for a game in his career. Third, the fact that the entire Colts roster - every starter - is healthy and ready to go. The Steelers recognize that they have to play their best game to win; Roethisberger said "We will need out A+ game to beat their B- game". And the Colts fans will be loud and effective in the dome. I think the Colts win fairly easily by 2 touchdowns and get ready for an AFC championship game at home against their nemesis Patriots.

Now wasn't that fun?

2 comments:

N said...

go bears. boo patriots. whoo colts. that is all.

pinano said...

I bleed blue.