Wednesday, July 13, 2005

My Letter

Today there was a debate on the editorial page with a local reporter named Jon Clark taking the position that displays of the Ten Commandments should be removed from all public property. He was very anti-Christian in his opinion, with a diatribe against "holier-than-thou" Christians dictating to the rest of the citizens how they should behave.

So, anyway, I was inspired to write the following response, which I emailed to him directly at the newspaper.

Hello Mr. Clark:

Reading your editorial today, I couldn't help but wonder, why so angry? If somewhere in your past you were abused in some way by people you perceived as Christians, please accept my apology on their behalf.

Because there must be something that has so incensed you against religion that your editorial does not mask that antagonism. I sincerely hope that you will come to understand that the Christian faith is not one of lectures and "holier-than-thou put-down"'s, but of love, understanding, and forgiveness.

In the meantime, I respectfully submit the following for your consideration.

1. The Ten Commandments is actually not uniquely Christian, but is core for all of the Judeo-Christian world and even respected by Islam.

I disagree with your point that they have nothing to do with our system of laws, as all of the Commandments have been codified into law by Western Civilization at one time or another. Modern laws represent the logical conclusion that only the admonitions against murder, theft, and lying can or should be objectively enforced.

I also disagree with your apparent contention that we are a secular society, but that our founders had the wisdom to found a country based on Judeo-Christian values that was at the same time tolerant of other faiths and determined not to force anyone to join or support a specific sect.

2. If citizens who subscribe to Eastern religions that do not subscribe to the Ten Commandments feel marginalized by the 230-year practice in America of posting them on public grounds, why not change the debate to whether we should permit them to erect a monument that represents their particular rules for living? Wouldn't an argument based on inclusion be more consistent with religious freedom than your argument of exclusion?

But then, all of the objections I have ever heard regarding public acknowledgement of religion have come from Atheists, and not from members of eastern or other religions.

3. In effect, this ongoing crusade against religion in the courts, particularly Christianity, ignores the true intent of the constitution by attempting to change the concept of "Freedom of Religion" to "Freedom from Religion".

Based on the religious ferver in which the Atheist community rails against all religious expression, I would have to conclude that the objective is to establish Atheism as the official State Religion.

4. There can be no denial of the fact of a direct correlation over the past 30 years between the incremental removal of religious expression from our society and dramatic increases in crime, drugs, violence, STD's, and divorce, as our culture becomes coarser and disdains anyone with the temerity to suggest a return to objective morality.

I for one believe in the concept of freedom of religious expression, and much prefer a society that honors its people's attempts to rise above our baser instincts than today's anything-goes narcissism.

Again, Mr. Clark, I sincerely apologize for whatever offense some in the Christian community may have given you. But please consider whether the greatest good in our society is served by removing God from public discourse.

Sincerely,

etc.

3 comments:

N said...

some people are just offended a lot. i call them "old people." sorry old people.

but seriously, the fear of religion is almost amusing... i propose that anyone belonging to a major religion should be able to add whatever religious item (one per religion, please) they like to public buildings. save us all a lot of hassle and boring debates about the stupid ten commandments. can you possibly think of a less important thing to argue about? seriously. get a job, nutbags.

square waffles are underrepresented, and they deserve protection under the constitution because those mean circular waffles are taking up all the shelf space!

zzzz...

Sara Beth said...

While I don't share the carefree attitude about the importance of the ten commandments, I do agree that much of the problem today is that when people are easily offended. (Sorry. Catholic.)

Interestingly, I find a similar opinion to that of Mr. Clark's in Catholics who have left the Church to become "Christians". A statement which I find ironic for many reasons...

Inclusion is a very good solution to the many problems of today. However I doubt that any particular religion would be content with it. There will always be a group that feels excluded/discriminated against.

It's interesting that in a Nation founded on religious tolerance that the pledge of alligence is now offensive to some because it mentions God.....

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said, "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." This fight over religion is nothing more than a singular groups tactic for gaining power. Maybe we'll all just blow ourselves up before the world truly becomes evil....

Dan S. said...

So we ended up with an online conversation, which went as follows:

Hi Mr. S,

Thanks for reading. We are running these point/counterpoint columns as
a way to generate some community discussion and reader response, and I
really appreciate you spending your time reading and writing back.

I'm sorry if I came across as angry, I was shooting for frustrated and
annoyed. And there is certainly no need to apologize for anything. No
Christian has ever treated me badly that I can recall.

Why my frustration? Well, simply, I think our founding fathers were
great men, foreward thinkers and true revolutionaries. They saw the
problems that occurred when a state adopts an official religion and they were
determined to avoid it. They wrote the Bill of Rights in such a way
that it clearly keeps the state out of religion and religion out of the
state. As I read it, they didn't want the state telling you and I what to
believe, nor for the state to tell us how to believe it.

For more than 200 years, their wisdom has been reaffirmed. America is a
truly religiously pluralistic society. Every sect and denomination of
every religious tradition is free to come to America and worship how
they choose. We have churches on every corner practically and
substantially higher rates of church attendance and belief in religion than any
country that I know of, certainly more than Europe and the Middle East
where state religions are much more common. Far from being angry about it
or offended by it, I think this is a good thing. I think it is great
that a Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic, Jew, Pentecostal, Muslim,
Buddhist, Unitarian and atheist are all free to choose how and when and if
they even want to worship in America. The system is not perfect, but it
has worked well so far.

But in our infinitely short-sighted nature, we seem doomed to throw
away this success. Putting the Ten Commandments on the courthouse lawn may
seem like a small, maybe even insignificant step toward establishing a
state religion, but it really is not so insignificant. By putting it on
a piece of government property, the state is implicitly endorsing that
content. But what exactly is it endorsing? Well, as my article said, it
is endorsing seven Commandments which have nothing to do with modern
law.

But it is also making a religious choice. There are three versions of
the Commandments in the Bible, each worded differently. Protestants and
Catholics and Jews all have differing beliefs on which set is
"correct," which Commandments are which and even over the importance of the
Commandments to their religion. Generally, groups erecting these monuments
have chosen the Protestant wording and arrangement. Does that mean the
government is now endorsing Protestant beliefs over Catholics and Jews?

And if it is endorsing Protestant beliefs, is it endorsing a particular
denomination? I mean, some denominations take very seriously the
wording about graven images, taking the Lord's name in vain and keeping the
Sabbath holy. Others do not. Which denominations' vision of the Ten
Commandments is being represented? Is it an evangelical view or a
non-evangelical view?

Some could say that it doesn't matter if the government tacitly
endorses a generic evangelical Protestant viewpoint. But most who say that are
evangelical Protestants. Which is the real problem to my mind. The
people who come up with these ideas are generally incapable of imagining
what life would be like if they were in the minority. Writing evangelical
Protestant beliefs into the law may seem like a good idea today. But
what if tomorrow Catholics have the ability to write Catholicism into the
law? What if 100 years from now the dominant church is the Mormons? How
do the Catholics and Protestants feel about living in a world where
Mormon scriptures are on all the public buildings and the laws are written
to favor Mormon beliefs?

And that is just different branches of Christianity. Few people I know
of would willingly live under Islamic law. Obviously that is a remote
possibility here in America, but I hope you see what I am saying.

I don't want to get rid of the Ten Commandments. I encourage people to
put them up in front of their church, put them up in their front yard,
put them up in their business. But leave the state as a place free from
religion. Don't force the state to choose which religion or
denomination it favors because that is the first step toward denying us the
religious freedom we enjoy in this country.

And just FYI, I am a member of a church but my church is neither large
nor powerful. The only way I can assure my religious freedom is to
ensure that everyone has religious freedom. Thus my strident tone, I
suppose.

Thanks for reading, sorry this went on so long,
John Clark

So I responded to his note with something that I failed to save in my email so I can't reproduce it here.

But it basically said that he and I were at the top of the same mountain looking down on slippery slopes on opposite sides. His was the left side and mine the right side, obviously. And that I saw much more evidence to justify a fear of the slippery slope on my side than he had to fear the one on his.

So here's his response:

Dan, I also have enjoyed our conversation, even though, as you said, we
are coming at this from completely opposite points of view. I could go
on at length about my theories on why my side shows more evidence of a
slippery slope than your side does, but frankly I could ramble on for
hours and I think my bosses would prefer I get some work done :) I
don't think we see eye-to-eye, but I think we both recognize that neither
side
is a raving lunatic.

Take care,

John Clark