Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Almost Polled

I was almost polled for the election.

Almost?

The pollster called me this weekend at my home phone. She went right into the questions - first the Presidential race, asking me my preference and attitudes toward the candidates.

But strangely, just as we were getting started, but after I'd made my strongly-held views clear, the call dropped. Did she hang up? Did the connection go down? I'll never know, but clearly the call ended before the poll was complete, and she made no attempt to call me back.

OK, this wasn't a cellular call, where disconnects are normal. It's extremely rare for a call to be lost on the land line, but it seems strange that it happened on this particular call. By the way, no calls since have had any problems whatsoever, and there were no weather problems or other circumstances that could have explained the failure.

Is it possible that they had their quota of respondents already who indicated a strong preference that matched mine? Do you think that the polling company, the supervisor, or the caller herself were disconnecting calls that didn't give them the results they were looking for to force the result to be what they wanted to report? What if the race isn't really close at all, but the polls are being manipulated to make people think it's close to make those on the opposing side turn out?

I guess we'll never know.

No comments: