Thursday, August 08, 2013

If I Made the Rules - Introduction

For several years, I've been posting entries into this blog that mostly present my personal take on the hot-button issues of the day.  It recently occurred to me that I have so many ideas on so many topics I could write a book. 

There's not much point in trying to publish an actual book, but I realized that this blog will serve just fine.  Since I don't expect the book would ever make me any money, and although I would love it if my ideas found a wider audience, I figure the best approach might be to use the free forum provided by Blogger to share them.

My goal is to post a new chapter every week.  I'll post my take on timely topics of the economy, social questions, immigration, law enforcement, race relations, taxes, and more generally the appropriate role for government.

The fundamental approach I take with every topic is consistent with my core values.  I'm a Christian first and foremost, and even though I would never impose my beliefs on anyone, neither will I ever support any attempts by non-Christians to suppress the freedom of expression granted to my religion by the United States Constitution.

I'll remain true to the Constitution whenever it applies.  I'm not a liberal who thinks it's a musty old document written by a bunch of dead white men 200 years ago, and has no relevance to modern society.  I'm appreciative of the timeless wisdom in both the Holy Bible and the Constitution, which actually adopted many biblical principles.  The Constitution is as applicable to today as it was 200 years ago, and does not deserve to be destroyed simply because a large and growing group of liberal thinkers find it overly restrictive to their agenda.

So any issue I tackle is going to follow those fundamental principles.  What public policy preserves individual freedoms but goes no further than to protect citizens from fraud or physical harm?  What policies treat everyone equally and do not favor any one group over another?  And what policies are most conducive to the principles of Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness?

If you've found this blog and enjoy my "book", welcome.  Feel free to comment or to tell your friends to check it out.

No comments: