Thursday, October 05, 2006

Observations on People and Places

Did I mention I've been pretty much everywhere?

Everywhere in the Continental United States, that is. I've never been to Alaska, Idaho, or Vermont. Or Puerto Rico, if that counts. But I've been in every other state, and in pretty much every major city.

I've been in most Canadian provinces, but admit that I haven't explored Canada much beyond the offices and hotels. There is just a bit of hesitation in striking out to explore a different country on my own. I have explored Toronto, and wandered around Montreal a bit.

My conclusions, if you're interested, are these.

No matter where I go, the bottom line is that people are people. I don't find a fundamental difference between Argentines and Californians, in the sense that they are all just living their lives and doing the best they can to take care of their families.

That said, I found different attitudes and group personalities in different places. From my personal experiences,

New Yorkers are the rudest and most profane.

Bostonians aren't far behind New Yorkers.

Texans are the friendliest and most hospitable.

Californians are the strangest.

Midwesterners are the most taciturn, but warm up to people after they get to know them.

Florida's a fascinating blend of southerners and midwestern snowbirds and New Yorkers, depending on where you are.

The southwest is hard to pin down. For example, Phoenix is full of people from somewhere else. Then there are the indians, with their own fiercely guarded heritage and interesting attitudes toward "white men".

The southeast is friendly and very laid back. They do things there on their own time. It's nice, if you can put aside your frenetic pace and go with the flow.

The mountain states seem to attract the hardcore skiers and mountian biker types. Not to mention Mormons, who are wonderfully friendly, hospitable, and family-oriented people.

People in major cities seem edgier. They're less trusting, and unfortunately many are also less trustworthy. They're always watching to make sure you're not taking advantage, while also watching for opportunities to take advantage of you. I'm glad I'm not a city dweller.

But of all the big cities, I think Chicago and Atlanta are less deserving of the previous characterization.

My favorite big cities are Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago. Maybe Seattle.

My least favorite big cities are Los Angeles, New York, Miami. Maybe Boston.

I feel like I can place people from listening to them speak for a few minutes. I can definitely pick out a Chicagoan, Bostonian, New Yorker, Texan, Dakotas/Minnesota, Wisconsin, Southeasterner (Georgia/Alabama/Carolinas). I could place a Californian sometimes.

Since I've been everywhere, why do I choose to live in Indiana? Honestly, I don't believe there's anywhere else in the country I would prefer. Partly it's home for me. But mostly, Indiana has low cost of living, is quieter, has no traffic to speak of, is a hospitable and simple place to live and raise a family. There are lots of other places in the country that are great to visit, but when the visit is over, I want to come back home to Indiana.

No comments: