Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I Am ...

I've noticed how narrowly people seem to identify themselves lately, with their fill-in-the-blank answer to "I Am ______________".

The blank is filled by people with whatever is most prominent in their life.

"I am a teacher/doctor/engineer/business owner/..." means that the individual is most closely identified and absorbed by their profession.

"I am gay" is very sad, because the only identity this person seems to have is based on their sexual behavior. To me, it's as silly as saying "I am a serial adulterer" (or in today's parlance I understand the word may be "player")

"I am a husband/wife" means that the individual is focused mostly on their relationship with their spouse.

"I am a father/mother" indicates a primary focus on the family and being a good parent.

"I am a Christian/Catholic/Jew/Islamist/Buddist/Spiritual person/..." means that the individual is most closely identified with their chosen religion.

"I am a carpenter/model builder/handyman/..." when not representing the individual's actual profession, indicates a close association with one's hobbies and avocation.

"I am a baseball/basketball/football/soccer/... player" indicates that the individual is focused on their chosen athletic endeavors.

"I am black/asian/hispanic/..." indicates that race is the most important factor in self-identification.

"I am a (insert team name) Fan" indicates an obsession with the individual's favorite sports team.

For me, it seems unfair to require me to pigeonhole myself into any single statement of who I am. I am many things - Christian/Catholic, Husband/Father, businessperson, Child Advocate, consultant, computer software expert, singer, somewhat a history buff, sometime athlete, sports fan, traveler, reader, political observer and sometime commentator, salesperson, accountant, son, brother, neighbor. And I'm sure I left out some things.

For myself, how about this: "I am just a guy trying to live my life, seek God and Truth, and be the best man I can be while hopefully having a little fun along the way".

1 comment:

SuperP. said...

I am a girl, mother, student who works part-time. I am a Christian. I like to watch hockey and I am terrible at most sports. I'd rather read than watch tv, but reading puts me to sleep. I am ten years of memories I thought would matter that I can barely recall, but do not regret, but never share. I have a perfectly clean house, but I only enjoy cleaning when I am angry and I am not often angry and I am always cleaning, which leaves my daily chores always shy of enjoyable in either circumstance. I confuse myself and confound others and I am probably a lot more simple than I seem complex.

Mostly, I hope. I hope all the time.