Monday, January 24, 2011

Travel Blog

I'm often asked what its like to travel all over the country. After getting stranded overnight in Atlanta (again), it occurred to me to use this blog to answer that question.

There are so many things that can be said about the life of a road warrior. Today I'll start with a basic overview.

I've been traveling extensively as part of my profession for nearly 20 years. The experiences over those years have constantly changed, as business and the travel industry have changed. Some changes for the better, others for the worse.

For those who think it's some sort of exciting and glamourous life, I'd respond you better not look for a road warrior job based on that myth.

Sure, there are lots of great features in this lifestyle. Automatic airline upgrades, hotel perks, car rental upgrades, seeing sights and cultures, some pretty good restaurants, and meeting all kinds of people are all very nice advantages.

On the other hand, the first thing those of you on the outside looking in may not understand is a key fact that it's far from a continuous vacation. Sightseeing is generally limited to the highways and skylines on the way to the office every day. Flight delays and cancellations, TSA harrassments, unethical businesspersons, frequent long hours, bad hotels, bad food, bad weather, loneliness all too often provide an offset to the upsides of the road warrior profession.

There are lots of topics available to me, and here are a few I will consider posting over the next few weeks or so:

Characteristics by Regions of the Country
Air Travel
Hotels
Rental Cars
Driving vs Flying
The Efficient Traveler
Maximizing Frequent Traveler Programs
Booking Tips

There may be more topics to develop as things move along. I'll go with my impressions of the country first, where each region can be described with certain characteristics. I definitely have my favorite regions and other regions I actively try to avoid.

Check back later for my favorite and least-favorite places to visit in North America (yes, I'm going to include Canada).

No comments: