Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Radical or just Informed?

According to pretty much every poll and "news" report, I now find myself solidly in the "Radical" category. What I always though was radical is now considered mainstream or "moderate". Even the government's own Department of Homeland Security has identified people sharing my beliefs potential domestic terrorists.

Let me try to figure this out. Do these beliefs make me a right-wing radical or just better informed than the mainstream?

I believe the US Constitution is there for a reason, and should not be violated routinely just because politicians and their judicial appointees find it inconvenient.

I believe in the First Amendment, specifically Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion. The mainstream now says I'm not permitted to say I'm opposed to Gay Marriage or the words "Jesus Christ" in any context other than swear words. Simply being a Christian, and especially a Catholic, makes me a pariah to the mainstream.

I believe in the Second Amendment. Although I don't actually own a firearm now, I'm seriously considering joining the rush to the gun store to get one before they're banned. (Not to use in terrorist activities, just to protect myself and my family). There has never been a case in history, as far as I know, where a gun jumped up and shot somebody all by itself. There is a long history in places that confiscate guns from the population where violent crime skyrockets because armed criminals know their victims are guaranteed to be unarmed. But the mainstream believes that taking guns away from everybody will end violent crime.

I believe in freedom of conscience. It turns out that physicians will not be forced to perform abortions, but they will be forced to prescribe abortifacient drugs and refer pregnant females to abortionists. Med students, nurses, and pharmacists do not even have the physician's option, and must participate if ordered on pain of loss of their career.

I believe in Equal Protection under the law. A violent crime is abhorrent and deserves swift and harsh judgement regardless of the victim. The mainstream believes that the punishment for such crimes should be more severe only if the offender held specific hatred against the special group in which the victim happened to claim membership.

I believe voting should be fair and just, with only legally authorized citizens eligible. I don't believe the government should give millions or billions to organizations whose primary mission is to help insure a certain party or specific individuals are guaranteed election. The mainstream has no problem with election fraud, as long as they approve of the winner.

I believe that abortion is infanticide. Legal abortion violates the primary right defined by the founders, life. The mainstream thinks it's OK to kill a baby at any time as long as they're not fully emerged from the mother's womb. The President even believes it's OK to kill them even after that.

I believe that foreign policy is best practiced by walking softly and carrying a big stick. Those who choose to be our friends will find us the best friends they could ever hope to have, while those who choose to be our enemies will find us their worst nightmare. But now the standard is apology, weakness, indecisiveness, appeasement, and chopping up the stick.

I believe the government exists to protect us against foreign and domestic enemies, regulate interstate commerce, facilitate international commerce, and facilitate national transportation infrastructure. The constitution is quite specific on the limited powers of the federal government, and the fact that no powers not specified are permitted. But the mainstream thinks it's fine for the federal government to do anything they want without restriction.

I believe the government should be held to the spending standard every household must maintain. They may only spend the money they have. The mainstream has no problem with the government spending every one of us into bankruptcy in the interest of consolidating permanent power.

There are many more beliefs, but the bottom line is this: I believe in freedom, self-determination, personal responsibility, and a non-intrusive government. The mainstream believes the federal government is responsible for taking care of them, cradle to grave. Even when that means none are free to live and work where they want, spend their own money as they see fit, choose their own doctors and medical treatments, and use their property as they please.

But I'm told that is radical. These beliefs make me a right-wing nutcase.

Unless, of course, nobody in the mainstream actually knows what's going on these days.

How did this happen?

No comments: