Thursday, November 29, 2007

Debaters

I caught the entire debate last night. CNN learned at least one lesson on the You-Tube format and cut out the stupid and outrageous stuff from the Democrat version. But apparently they couldn't help themselves in the sense of putting on some rather poor choices I suspect mirror their own attitudes.

They got caught on the gay general who hammered the candidates on "don't ask, don't tell". It turns out he's from Hillary's campaign. They compounded the dishonest presentation by letting the general expound further after the candidates gave what I thought were reasonable responses. Except Romney, who was so afraid of saying the wrong thing that he came off as an insincere buffoon.

The guy with the guns was funny, but I suspect may have been a set-up designed to suggest Republicans are a bunch of stupid rednecks. And the guy waving the Bible was simply insulting. Actually, I thought as many as half of the questions CNN chose were very questionable, possible put-up jobs. It's hard to believe they chose the one with the question about the stars & bars. In general, there were too many non-serious obnoxious questions from obvious enemies of the party.

My personal opinion is that Romney didn't do so well. He seemed insincere and calculating to me.

Rudy was his usual self, promising to do for the country what he did for New York City. Problem is, New York City is hardly a place most Americans (including me) would consider a reasonable model for the rest of the country. For me, New York, Miami, and Los Angeles are as close to being their own separate countries as they can be. I don't especially want the rest of America to look like New York City.

I thought the strongest performances came from McCain and Huckabee. They were earnest and seemed honest and passionate about their beliefs. McCain did a great job of projecting a confidence in his ability to win in Iraq and deal with the threats of terrorism. Huckabee was very personable and affable, and was terrific on the WWJD question.

Ron Paul must have gotten the message, toning it down a bit so he didn't come across quite so crazy. I was finally able to see what makes him attractive to his enthusiastic base of supporters.

I still really want to like Fred, and can't say he did badly. He seemed fairly comfortable and plain-spoken, but still doesn't really show much passion for the race. He's a guy I'd be happy to vote for in the general election, but he doesn't seem to give people a lot of reason to support him enthusiastically in the primary.

Hunter and Tancredo were all but ignored. They could be the greatest candidates in the field, but CNN seemed determined to keep them in the shadows. Tancredo still seems the one-trick pony, all about the immigration issue. Maybe he's served his purpose in highlighting the issue and can go ahead and retire from the race. Hunter seems like a good guy, but we get far to few chances to learn much about him.

I've got to think that the race is not between Rudi and Romney, but maybe between McCain and Huckabee. It will be interesting to find out whether I'm right.

No comments: