Thursday, January 25, 2007

Hiatus Over for Now

There hasn't been time to post, so I've been on a sort of hiatus for awhile. This week's been spent in Vegas, where at least the sun shines every day.

I've nothing to say about politics for now because my isolated voice from the wilderness doesn't count. I'm trying to avoid television news, because nearly all of it makes me so angry it almost wrecks my day. Insanity is epidemic, ground zero being Washington, so I've decided to go into quarantine for awhile for my own good.

The Super Bowl is the matchup I could hardly dare hope for, but really happened. My two favorite NFL teams are playing each other. I'd rather soak up the enjoyment of this rare occasion than subject myself to depressing stupidity elsewhere.

Speaking of which, I'm sort of wondering if Las Vegas, Nevada may be the home of the stupidest people anywhere? Not meaning to be unkind, and I'm sure there are plenty of highly intelligent individuals residing in Sin City, but why does it seem that nearly everyone I meet here is about as intelligent as a ficus plant?

And for those who think Vegas is fun, I don't really see it. To me, sitting around playing cards or pushing buttons on slot machines is more like torture. A show might be fun, if the good ones didn't all cost a small fortune. There are lots of attractive women here, but there's nothing relevant to me except that now and then I see one and think, "there's an attractive woman". I can do the same thing watching television. Besides, if I actually talk to one, the attractiveness sort of declines as the ditzy airhead materializes.

Next week is officially Administration Week. That means cleaning up the office, closing the books on 2006, meeting with the accountant, signing a new lease on the office, and generally getting the decks cleared for the new year. It's the 'cleaning up the office' part that's going to take the most discipline - I've avoided that job so long I'm almost afraid to tackle it.

I'm ready for the long flight home tomorrow. And hoping to get the upgrade that makes it a comfortable trip.

No comments: